AW: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Subject AW: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> > >Oracle has MVCC?
> >
> > With restrictions, yes.
>
> What restrictions? Rollback segments size?

No, that is not the whole story. The problem with their "rollback segment approach" is,
that they do not guard against overwriting a tuple version in the rollback segment.
They simply recycle each segment in a wrap around manner.
Thus there could be an open transaction that still wanted to see a tuple version
that was already overwritten, leading to the feared "snapshot too old" error.

Copying their "rollback segment" approach is imho the last thing we want to do.

> Non-overwriting smgr can eat all disk space...
>
> > You didn't know that?  Vadim did ...
>
> Didn't I mention a few times that I was inspired by Oracle? -:)

Looking at what they supply in the feature area is imho good.
Copying their technical architecture is not so good in general.

Andreas