AW: Re: [SQL] Rules with Conditions: Bug, or Misunderst anding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Subject AW: Re: [SQL] Rules with Conditions: Bug, or Misunderst anding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> If the system were capable of determining that either rule1 or rule2
> condition will always hold, perhaps it could deduce that the original
> query on the view will never be applied.  However, I doubt that we
> really want to let loose an automated theorem prover on the results
> of every rewrite ...

Yes, a theorem prover is way too complex, and can not cover
the case where the application guards against the "apply original query" case.

Would it be possible to push the elog down to the heap access,
and only throw the elog if a heap access is actually about to be performed
on a view ?

Andreas