AW: Please advise features in 7.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Subject AW: Please advise features in 7.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Reason: I want to know if any of these features are scheduled.
>
> 1. Calculated fields in table definitions . eg.
>
>    Create table test (
>             A Integer,
>             B integer,
>            the_sum   As  (A+B),
> );

This is currently easily done with a procedure that takes a tabletype parameter
with the name the_sum returning the sum of a + b.
  Create table test (            A Integer,            B integer   );

create function the_sum (test) returns integer as
'begin;    return ($1.a + $1.b);end;
' language 'plpgsql';

A select * won't return the_sum, but a select t.a, t.b, t.the_sum from test t;
will do what you want.

Unfortunately it only works if you qualify the column the_sum with a tablename or alias.
(But I heard you mention the Micro$oft word, and they tend to always use aliases anyway)
Maybe we could even extend the column search in the unqualified case ?

Andreas