AW: Issue NOTICE for attempt to raise lock level? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Subject AW: Issue NOTICE for attempt to raise lock level?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I am working on eliminating the "relation NNN modified while in use"
> misfeature by instead grabbing a lock on each relation at first use
> in a statement, and holding that lock till end of transaction.

As anticipated, I object :-)
If you do this you will most likely add the code to the wrong places,
since what we really need is a lock for the duration of one statement only.

Otherwise you will only fix this situation for those cases where the application
is actually inside a transaction. And this is (and hopefully stays) not mandatory.

Additionally we would have the discussed lockout of admin tasks ...

Andreas