AW: Lessons learned on how to build 7.0.2 on AIX 4.x - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Subject AW: Lessons learned on how to build 7.0.2 on AIX 4.x
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Richard Sand writes:
>
> > 1) First of all, you can't use IBM's make utility, gotta
> use GNU make.
>
> Quoth the installation instructions:
>
> "Building PostgreSQL requires GNU make. It will not work with
> other make
> programs."
>
> > you have to use the command:
> >
> > ./configure --with-template=aix_gcc
>
> That has got to be a bug. The configure script should look for gcc
> first. Can you show the relevant lines of configure output
> (checking for
> cc... etc), when you don't use that option?
>

> > Making postgres.imp
> >  ./backend/port/aix/mkldexport.sh postgres /usr/local/bin >
> postgres.imp nm: postgres: 0654-200 Cannot open the specified file.
> >  nm: A file or directory in the path name does not exist.
> >
> > This is apparently a bug in the make scripts for Postgres.
>
> Can you describe how to fix it? The AIX shared library stuff
> is an enigma
> to me.

The problem here is simply that the postgres.imp target has no dependency in

the Makefile.aix and thus gmake thinks it can start with this step.

> > I hand edited the Makefile.global file in ./src and
> commented out the
> > line "HAVE_Cplusplus=true"
>
> Quoth configure --help:
>
> "  --without-CXX           prevent building C++ code"

This is now the default. The c++ check using gcc is busted, since the
test code is C only and is compiled with gcc. gcc does not switch to C++
mode.

> > Oh, and as the make output scrolled by, I see that it failed as well
> > building some plpsql stuff, but it was non fatal.
>
> If it failed then it was fatal, and vice versa. Please elaborate.
>
> > There were also a zillion warnings, many of them about multiple type
> > declarations for int8, int32, etc.
>
> I'll make a note of it.
>
> > installing the man pages, because it expected to use "zcat"
> to handle
> > its .gz files, which AIX doesn't like.  So I had to change zcat to
> > "/usr/local/bin/gunzip -c" in the ./src/Makefile.global (of course
>
> Noted.

Don't rely on gunzip, use gzip -cd instead.

Andreas