Re: Commit takes a long time. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Commit takes a long time.
Date
List pgsql-performance
> "Peter Childs" <peterachilds@gmail.com> writes:
> > Using Postgresql 8.1.10 every so often I get a transaction that takes a
> > while to commit.
>
> > I log everything that takes over 500ms and quite reguallly it says things
> > like
>
> > 707.036 ms statement: COMMIT
>
> AFAIK there are only two likely explanations for that:
>
> 1. You have a lot of deferred triggers that have to run at COMMIT time.
>
> 2. The disk system gets so bottlenecked that fsync'ing the commit record
> takes a long time.

I've seen 3 other reasons for this in the field while tuning people's
systems. In 8.3 we've fixed one, reduced the other and the third is
amenable to tuning via wal_buffers even in 8.1

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com