Re: initdb error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: initdb error
Date
List pgsql-general
David Noel <david.i.noel@gmail.com> writes:
> On 12/13/12, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> You could get more information by using the --noclean switch to prevent
>> removal of the datadir after failure, and then having a look at the
>> debris.  Is there a pg_xlog subdirectory inside /zdb/pgsql/data, and if
>> so what permissions has it got?  Perhaps it is not a directory, but a
>> symlink to somewhere else?

[ nothing obviously wrong there... ]

Well, it looks like there are no easy answers here, so we'll have to
start digging.  Is this a purely stock version of Postgres?  Which
release exactly?  Where did you get it from, or if you built it
yourself, what configuration options did you use?  What's the platform
exactly?

What I'd suggest as a next step is to use strace or local equivalent on
the initdb run, to capture a log of everything it does with pg_xlog.
(And everything else too --- the log is likely to be bulky, so please
don't post it here.  You could send it to me off-list if it makes no
sense to you.)

            regards, tom lane