Re: VLDB Features - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: VLDB Features
Date
Re: VLDB Features  (NikhilS <nikkhils@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> If we could somehow only do a subtransaction per failure, things would
> be much better, but I don't see how.

One approach would be to essentially implement the pg_bulkloader
approach inside the backend. That is, begin by doing a subtransaction
for every k rows (with k = 1000, say). If you get any errors, then
either repeat the process with k/2 until you locate the individual
row(s) causing the trouble, or perhaps just immediately switch to k = 1.
Fairly ugly though, and would be quite slow for data sets with a high
proportion of erroneous data.

Another approach would be to distinguish between errors that require a
subtransaction to recover to a consistent state, and less serious errors
that don't have this requirement (e.g. invalid input to a data type
input function). If all the errors that we want to tolerate during a
bulk load fall into the latter category, we can do without
subtransactions.

-Neil