Re: Release Note Changes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Release Note Changes
Date
Re: Release Note Changes  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 16:21 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > Maybe the importance of the patches that were removed wasn't clear
> > enough, so let me explain my viewpoint. On another part of this thread I
> > summarised the feedback from others to a list of features that were
> > definitely user noticeable. The list was:
> >
> > - Merge Join performance has been substantially improved when low number
> > of duplicate join keys exist on the outer side of the join (Simon, Greg)
>
> Most users don't know if they are using mergejoins or not, nor are they
> going to do anything differently now that the feature is in, so that is
> why I don't see a need to mention it.

Wow, what an amazing claim. Please post that to -performance!

But if you applied that test, another half of the performance features
should go also. As would many others in various other sections. I want
them all to stay, so I won't point the finger at others. And why did we
mention outer joins were tuned in 8.2?

The release notes are already 33 pages on Firefox's Print Preview, so a
couple of extra sentences won't change anything.

> > - Large I/O reduction during recovery when full_page_writes = on
> > (Heikki)
>
> Again, a speedup, but not something that impacts people to behave
> differently or see different output.

Same comment.

> > > If people are concerned about the unfairness, and I understand that, the
> > > best solution is not to add more items to the release notes to be more
> > > fair, but to remove all names from release note items.
> >
> > That makes no sense, but it would benefit people that wrote fewer
> > patches, I guess.
>
> Yep, kind of illogical but it is fair.

If we're at the stage of saying logic is irrelevant, then I'll never
persuade you, probably of anything, ever...

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com