Re: Release Note Changes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: Release Note Changes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>>> Let me give you the criteria I use for the release notes.  The release
>>> notes try to document all changes visible to the average user in a way
>>> that is understandable to the average user.
>> hmm I'm not so sure about that - there are a number of changes to psql
>> that are not mentioned for example - like the addition of various new
>> backslashcommands (\dF, \dFp, \dFt ,...) as part of the main tsearch2
>> commit or a number of tab-complete improvements/additions (for tsearch
>> as well as some other stuff).
>
> Yea, but when you say you are adding tsearch there is the assumption
> that psql and pg_dump and tab completion will be updated to reflect
> that.

hmm well - tab.complete support was not done for a number of new
SQL-level stuff with the main commits in the last few releases and was
mostly added by different developers (like me) either in the same
release cycle or even later.
Anyway this "implicitly included in the main commit" adds a few
interesting gotchas like having a "Build Options" section that has stuff
like "--enable-profiling" and "--with-system-tzdata" but
"--with-ossp-uuid" is in the contrib section and "--with-libxml" is
missing (mostly because implicitly assumed as part of SQL/XML) as is
"--with-gssapi"(part of the GSSAPI feature?) and "--with-libxslt (no idea ?)

>> While looking at this i noted a "psql's \d command and pg_dump have been
>> enhanced" in the Object Manipulation Changes" Chapter which looks a bit
>> missplaced/useless and probably should be removed or clarified and moved
>> to the psql part.
>
> I don't see that anywhere.  Are you looking at the most recent version:
>
>     http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release-8-3.html

hmm yeah sorry - I was looking at the beta3 version we have on the main
website seems to be fixed in the current code.

Stefan