Re: database tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: database tuning
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 12:45 +1200, kelvan wrote:

> hi i need to know all the database overhead sizes and block header sizes etc
> etc as I have a very complex database to build and it needs to be speed
> tuned beyond reckoning

If your need-for-speed is so high, I would suggest using 8.3 or at least
looking at the 8.3 documentation.

This release is very nearly production and is much faster than 8.1 or
8.2. You may not have realised that Postgres dot releases are actually
major releases and have significant speed differences.

There's not much to be done about the overheads you mention, so best to
concentrate your efforts on index planning for your most frequently
executed queries.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com