Re: Simplifying Text Search - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Simplifying Text Search
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Remember, I'm not suggesting we get rid of @@

> In any case, it's way too late.

I'm suggesting we add a couple of simple SQL functions that will help
text search docs be more easily understood.

It's beta and its valid to respond to usability issues just as we would
respond to code bugs. Otherwise, why have beta? Late, but not too late.

SQLServer, Oracle and MySQL all use functions, not operators. My
observation would be that we have the hardest and most difficult to
understand full text search capability. The Contains() function seems
like a better name than I gave earlier also.

I love what we've done; I just want more people be able to use it.

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com