Re: SQL feature requests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SQL feature requests
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>> How about something like gensym?

> It is dangerous to provide a synthetic name; if the standard ever gets
> modified to support alias-less subqueries, they would likely choose a
> different name-generating algorithm, and we would have a
> backward-compatibility problem.

I concur.  If we do this, the thing to do is have *no* alias, ie, there
is no way to qualify the names of the subquery output columns.  (IIRC
unaliased joins already work approximately like that.)  Then there's
not anything to have a backward compatibility problem with.