Re: Postgresql simple query performance question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Postgresql simple query performance question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 09:29 -0500, Bill Moran wrote:

> > Hi
> > We are in the process of testing for migration of our database from Oracle to Postgresql.
> > I hava a simple query
> >
> > Select count(*) from foo
>
> This is asked a lot.  The quick answer is that PostgreSQL method of MVCC
> makes it impossible to make this query fast.  Perhaps, someday, some
> brilliant developer will come up with an optimization, but that hasn't
> happened yet.

What release level is being tested? It may already have happened.

8.3 is substantially faster at seq scans, so the tests should be re-run
on 8.3 beta.

Also, re-run the Postgres test. It should be faster the second time,
even if the database server is restarted between tests.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com