Re: getting list of tables from command line - Mailing list pgsql-general

From T.J. Adami
Subject Re: getting list of tables from command line
Date
List pgsql-general
On 31 out, 12:01, craigwh...@azapple.com (Craig White) wrote:
> I wrote a little script to individually back up table schemas, table
> data and then vacuum the table and it works nicely but I wanted a way to
> query a database and get a text file with just the table names and
> cannot figure out a way to do that.
>
> my script looks like this...
> (all I want is to get a list of the tables into a text file pg_tables)
>
> #/bin/sh
> #
> DB_NAME=whatever
> #
> for i in `cat pg_tables`
> do
>   pg_dump  --username=postgres \
>     --schema=db
>     --table=$i \
>     --schema-only \
>     $DB_NAME > schemas/$i.sql
>   pg_dump  --username=postgres \
>     --schema=db \
>     --table=$i \
>     --data-only \
>     $DB_NAME > data/$i.sql
>   vacuumdb --username=postgres \
>    --dbname=$DB_NAME \
>    --table=db.$i \
>    --verbose \
>    --full
> done
>
> Is there a way to do that?
>
> Craig
>
> PS there's a lack of cohesion between various commands such as vacuumdb
> and pg_dump for things like '--schema'

>        match

First you can create a file with the SQL statement:

select tablename from pg_tables where schemaname not in
('information_schema','pg_catalog' ) order by tablename;

After, run it by psql:

psql -U [postgres_user] -d [database_name] -f [file_created_with_SQL]
> [output_file]

This will dump all non-database schema tables into the output file, so
you can open it and read table names.