Re: datestyle question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Diego Gil
Subject Re: datestyle question
Date
List pgsql-general
El mié, 03-10-2007 a las 00:27 -0500, Erik Jones escribió:
> On Oct 2, 2007, at 8:56 PM, Diego Gil wrote:

> >> You could try importing those fields in a text field in a temporary
> >> table and then convert them from there into your final tables
> >> using the
> >> to_date() function.
> >>
> >> If 20022007 really means 20 Jan instead of 20 Feb, try something
> >> like:
> >>
> > No, it realy means 20 Feb. My mistake !.
> >

> >> insert into my_table (my_date_field)
> >> select to_date(my_date_text_field, 'DDMMYYYY') - interval '1 month'
> >>   from my_temp_table;
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >
> > I finally ended coding a dirty C program to reverse the order of date
> > fields. Here is the code, in case anyone need it.
>
> I'm glad you got something working.  However, out of morbid
> curiousity I have to ask:  why did you use C for that when you could
> have done it with at most a three line script or even one line
> directly from the shell?

I am a lot more used to work with C (25+ years doing it). In fact, it is
easier to me writing it in C. That is all!. Could you post an
equivalente script, so I can try it and learn?.

"It is hard to teach new tricks to an old dog".

Regards,
Diego.