Re: [GENERAL] createuser: How to specify a database to connect to - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] createuser: How to specify a database to connect to
Date
List pgsql-general
Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> writes:
> It's not very hard to do. But I really wonder why it's not already done. I
> fear there was a good idea, but I fail to see which one :)

The core reason why we haven't complicated createuser in that particular
direction is that createuser is only a convenience function for easy
cases.  There is not anything it could do for you that you can't do in
psql, and there are multiple cases that it doesn't attempt to handle
at all (some of the less-common options to CREATE USER, for instance).
I don't have any problem with "I decided to get rid of the postgres
database" being one of the unhandled cases.

            regards, tom lane