Re: [HACKERS] 'Waiting on lock' - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [HACKERS] 'Waiting on lock'
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 23:49 -0500, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On 6/19/07, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> >
> > related TODO items:
> > - add a WAIT n clause in same SQL locations as NOWAIT
> > - add a lock_wait_timeout (USERSET), default = 0 (unlimited waiting)
> >
> > to provide better control over lock waits.
> >

> are these actual TODO items? i can't find them on the TODO list and i
> don't remember any discussion nor patch about this

They are my proposals for TODO items to assist with application
development.

Waiting around DDL is just one reason to want those, though there are
other similar issues with locking. I had one client with a program that
waited for 57 hours before they noticed. statement_timeout was not an
appropriate way to manage that and some form of timeout makes better
sense. NOWAIT means extra programming to handle that case, rather than
raising a normal error, so isn't always possible to change the app
source.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com