Re: Is anybody actually using XLR_BKP_REMOVABLE? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Is anybody actually using XLR_BKP_REMOVABLE?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> It occurs to me also that we could just move the flag from
>> per-WAL-record info bytes to per-page or even per-segment WAL headers.
>> Because we now force a segment switch when starting a backup, the
>> flag would be seen turned-on soon enough to prevent problems.
>> Finding out that it's off again after the end of a backup might be
>> a little delayed, but the only cost is failure to compress a few
>> compressible records.
>>
>> I'm not volunteering to do the above, unless someone steps forward
>> to say that there's active use of this flag, but either one of these
>> solutions seems more tenable than using up an info-byte bit.

> I'll volunteer. Assume you can reuse the flag and I will patch afterwards.

Thanks for the offer, but after thinking about it a bit more I realized
that this change is quite trivial, so I just went ahead and did it along
with the change in XLR_MAX_BKP_BLOCKS.  This seems better since both
related changes are in one commit, and we can't forget to do it.