Re: BUG #1814: Cancelling a CLUSTER changes the OID counter - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #1814: Cancelling a CLUSTER changes the OID counter
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Ian Burrell" <ianburrell@gmail.com> writes:
> Cancelling a CLUSTER is causing the OID counter to jump forwards.  In the
> test below, it goes from 108 million to 4286 million (close to 2^32).

> We recently wrapped the OID counter.

Uh, does the same thing happen if you *don't* cancel it?

It looks to me like this could possibly happen due to CheckMaxObjectId()
being applied to each OID found in the existing table.

CheckMaxObjectId was always a kluge, and I'm not sure that it still has
any redeeming social value at all.  Can anyone think of a good reason
to keep it?

            regards, tom lane