Re: Assigning Values to Composite Types - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Assigning Values to Composite Types
Date
List pgsql-sql
Gary Chambers <gwchamb@gmail.com> writes:
>         /* Here is where I am stuck trying to fill data
>            I've tried:

>            data.term_count.coord_type := S;
>            (data.term_count).coord_type := S;
>            data.(term_count.coord_type) := S;
>         */

I'm afraid plpgsql isn't tremendously bright about such cases.  If
you have all the values available at once, though, it seems like
you should be able to do
data.term_count := row(this, that, the_other);

An explicit cast of the row() construct to the target column's type
might be a good idea --- I think it would work without, but probably
not with good performance.
        regards, tom lane