Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: fight - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: fight
Date
Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: fight  ("Jonah H. Harris" <jonah.harris@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 16:11 -0500, Decibel! wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 09:24:24AM +0200, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> > Greg Smith wrote:
> >
> > >http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/innodb-next-key-locking.html
> > >http://www.greatlinux.com/mysql/books/mysqlpress/mysql-tutorial/ch10.html
> >
> > I recently covered a related item (prevting phantom rows) regarding
> > MySQL in my blog:
> > http://pooteeweet.org/blog/745
>
> Wait... isn't InnoDB an MVCC system? Why do they need gap locking at
> all? Shouldn't they be able to just pull the right version?

Is there a document explaining more of the differences between the
postgresql MVCC model and something closer to InnoDB or Oracle, where it
has rollback segments? I'm interested in the design tradeoffs between
the two ideas.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis