More than one characters in DELIMITER (for COPY) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From L. Berger
Subject More than one characters in DELIMITER (for COPY)
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

We have data where all the characters on the keyboard are used. The
data is utf-8, so all of those European characters with umlauts and
such are also used. Because of this we have {~} as the delimiter, even
{} was taken!

Now when I try to specify this delimiter in the COPY command to import
the data into a table, I get the error message that the delimiter can
only be a single character. Why this requirement? Most databases allow
importing/exporting with any delimiter I wish!

I'd appreciate some thoughts on what my options are..

Thanks!