Re: insert vs select into performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Lewis
Subject Re: insert vs select into performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
If you're performing via JDBC, are you using addBatch/executeBatch, or
are you directly executing each insert?  If you directly execute each
insert, then your code will wait for a server round-trip between each
insert.

That still won't get you to the speed of select into, but it should
help.  You could also look at the pgsql-jdbc archives for the JDBC
driver patches which allow you to use COPY-style bulk loading, which
should get you to the performance level of COPY, which should be
reasonably close to the performance of select into.

-- Mark Lewis