Re: Store dates in database in different format - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Store dates in database in different format
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 11:09 -0700, RPK wrote:
> I am using pgsql 8.2.3 on windows XP. I noticed that dates are store in
> 'Date' columns of a table in "yyyy-mm-dd" format whereas I want to store it
> in "dd-MMM-yyyy" format. Can I change this?

First of all, you're talking about the input/output format, not the
storage format. There's no reason to store the dates differently.

Here's some documentation that can help you with displaying dates like
you want:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/runtime-config-client.html
(see the DateStyle config)
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/functions-datetime.html

You can also create your own type if that's helpful.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis