Re: WAL files, warm spares and minor versions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: WAL files, warm spares and minor versions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 12:57 -0500, Michael Nolan wrote:
> Can WAL files be used to create/update a warm standby on a different
> minor version of PostgreSQL (eg, using files from a server running
> 8.2.3 on an 8.2.4 server, or vice-versa?)
>
> I suspect this is a FAQ, but I didn't see it in the docs on WALs and
> PITR (section 23.3)

The docs for Warm Standby are in 23.4

"It is the policy of the PostgreSQL Global Development Group not to make
changes to disk formats during minor release upgrades, so it is likely
that running different minor release levels on primary and standby
servers will work successfully. However, no formal support for that is
offered and you are advised to keep primary and standby servers at the
same release level as much as possible. When updating to a new minor
release, the safest policy is to update the standby servers first — a
new minor release is more likely to be able to read WAL files from a
previous minor release than vice versa."

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/warm-standby.html

--
  Simon Riggs