Re: 7.3.1 New install, large queries are slow - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.3.1 New install, large queries are slow
Date
List pgsql-performance
Kevin Brown <kevin@sysexperts.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> ... Whether this is a bug or a feature depends on
>> your point of view --- but there are folks out there who find it to be
>> a life-saver.

> Since it *does* depend on one's point of view, would it be possible to
> have control over this implemented in a session-defined variable (with
> the default in the GUC, of course)?

I have no objection to doing that --- anyone care to contribute code to
make it happen?  (I think the trick would be to fold plain-JOIN jointree
entries into FROM-list items in planner.c, somewhere near the code that
hoists sub-SELECTs into the main join tree.  But I haven't tried it, and
have no time to in the near future.)

            regards, tom lane