Re: Reference Type in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Reference Type in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 11:30 +0100, Elena wrote:
> Hello all, I'm new in PostgreSQL...
>
> I would want to know like PostgreSQL manages the type reference that
> defines the standard SQL:1999. I want to define the type of attribute
> like a reference at other type.

PostgreSQL doesn't allow references/pointers. OIDs are the closest thing
to a reference in PostgreSQL.

From _An Introduction to Database Systems_ by C.J. Date, p. 872:
"The blunder [The Second Great Blunder] consists of mixing pointers and
relations."

So not everyone thinks that references/pointers in a relation value are
a good idea.

I don't know how the PostgreSQL developers feel about it, but I haven't
seen a lot of demand for this feature on these lists.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis