Re: Bug in UTF8-Validation Code? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Bug in UTF8-Validation Code?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 01:29 -0600, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 04:42:35PM +0100, Mario Weilguni wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 13. März 2007 16:38 schrieb Joshua D. Drake:
> > > Is this any different than the issues of moving 8.0.x to 8.1 UTF8? Where
> > > we had to use iconv?
> >
> > What issues? I've upgraded several 8.0 database to 8.1. without having to use
> > iconv. Did I miss something?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/release-8-1.html
>
> "Some users are having problems loading UTF-8 data into 8.1.X.  This
> is because previous versions allowed invalid UTF-8 byte sequences
> to be entered into the database, and this release properly accepts
> only valid UTF-8 sequences. One way to correct a dumpfile is to run
> the command iconv -c -f UTF-8 -t UTF-8 -o cleanfile.sql dumpfile.sql."

If the above quote were actually true, then Mario wouldn't be having a
problem. Instead, it's half-true: Invalid byte sequences are rejected in
some situations and accepted in others. If postgresql consistently
rejected or consistently accepted invalid byte sequences, that would not
cause problems with COPY (meaning problems with pg_dump, slony, etc.).

Regards,Jeff Davis