Re: Bug in UTF8-Validation Code? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Bug in UTF8-Validation Code?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 12:00 +0100, Mario Weilguni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a problem with a database, I can dump the database to a file, but
> restoration fails, happens with 8.1.4.

I reported the same problem a while back:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2006-10/msg00246.php

Some people think it's a bug, some people don't. It is technically
documented behavior, but I don't think the documentation is clear
enough. I think it is a bug that should be fixed, and here's another
message in the thread that expresses my opinion:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2006-11/msg00033.php

If you look at that email, it includes some examples of surprising
behaviors caused by that bug, particularly with bytea.

In some applications (for which it's impractical to change the source
code), I actually use a CHECK constraint (which raises an exception on
invalid utf8 data) on every text column so that some binary data doesn't
break my slony replication.

I'd like to see this fixed.

Regards,Jeff Davis