Re: pg_dumpall and version confusion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: pg_dumpall and version confusion
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 11:53, Tony Caduto wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
> > This is a problem I've been thinking about on and off recently - and I
> > am starting to come to the conclusion that shipping each version of
> > the utilities is the only way things are likely to work unless someone
> > puts some really significant effort into adding backwards
> > compatibility modes to pg_dump (which I imagine is likely to meet
> > resistance if offered as a patch anyway).
> >

> I never had a issue before the 8.2 dump and the GRANT ON SEQUENCE.
> The version differences in PGSQL are nothing compared to what goes on
> with MySQL.
>
> Maybe that would be a good Google summer of code project :-)  (make
> pg_dump more backwards compatible to at least 8.0)

It would be quite useful to have a -sourcever and -targetver flag in
pg_dump that understood the latest version and the last two or three
versions.  So, if you had pg_dump for v8.2 you could do something like:

pg_dump -sourcever 8.2 -targetver 8.0 > dump.sql