Re: Problem with Dates - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Problem with Dates
Date
List pgsql-novice
Sharon Cowling <sharon.cowling@sslnz.com> writes:
> I'm inserting data into the database (via a JSP) and I'm getting the incorrect year sometimes.
> The date is entered by the user (it is their birthdate) then inserted into the database as dd-mm-yy this works fine
formost dates.  If I enter 16-10-76 it will be stored as 16/10/1976, but if I was to enter 16/10/56 it gets stored as
16/10/2056.

> Could someone direct me to some documentation or tell me how to change the date settings?  I realise why it's setting
thedates this way, I just haven't been able to find how to change it.

I believe the "wrap point" for 2-digit years is fixed at 1970 --- you
can't change it without changing the C code.  You're better off tweaking
your client-side code to convert the year to 4 digits using whatever
rule you think is appropriate.

            regards, tom lane