Re: Extreme bloating of intarray GiST indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Extreme bloating of intarray GiST indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov@gmail.com> writes:
> I have another hypothesis about index bloat cause. AFAIK, vaccum procedure
> on GiST don't have any storage utilization guarantee. For example, if only
> one live item is in some page, then only one item will be left in this page.
> I.e. there is no index reroganization during vacuum. If there wouldn't be
> many inserts into such pages in future then they will be stay bloat.

Possibly, but the same is true of btree indexes, and we very seldom see
cases where that's a serious issue.  In any case, this is all just
speculation without evidence --- we need to see actual data to figure
out what's going on.