Supported plpgsql BEFORE ... EACH ROW behavior - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karl O. Pinc
Subject Supported plpgsql BEFORE ... EACH ROW behavior
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I want to write a plpgsql function for use as a
BEFORE ... EACH ROW function.  I want to modify
other tables even when the function returns NULL
and therefore the table on which the BEFORE
trigger is defined is not updated.

Can I count on this behavior being supported
in the future?  There's nothing in the docs,
or my past experience with Postgresql that
would lead me to believe that the existing
behavior would change, but then the doc's
don't explicitly say what happens to side
effects produced by a BEFORE trigger when
the code returns NULL.

Sorry for being paranoid about this but I
want to double check before relying on
behavior that few people probably use.

Thanks for the help.

Karl <kop@meme.com>