Re: LISTEN/NOTIFY testing woes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: LISTEN/NOTIFY testing woes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mark Dilger <hornschnorter@gmail.com> writes:
> On 11/23/19 8:50 PM, Mark Dilger wrote:
>> I have finished reading and applying your three patches and have moved
>> on to testing them.  I hope to finish the review soon.

> After applying all three patches, the stress test that originally
> uncovered the assert in predicate.c no longer triggers any asserts.
> `check-world` passes.  The code and comments look good.

Thanks for reviewing!

After sleeping on it, I'm not really happy with what I did in
PrepareTransaction (that is, invent a separate PrePrepare_Notify
function).  The idea was to keep that looking parallel to what
CommitTransaction does, and preserve infrastructure against the
day that somebody gets motivated to allow LISTEN or NOTIFY in
a prepared transaction.  But on second thought, what would surely
happen when that feature gets added is just that AtPrepare_Notify
would serialize the pending LISTEN/NOTIFY actions into the 2PC
state file.  There wouldn't be any need for PrePrepare_Notify,
so there's no point in introducing that.  I'll just move the
comment saying that nothing has to happen at that point for NOTIFY.