Re: Feature Request: inline comments - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Feature Request: inline comments
Date
Re: Feature Request: inline comments  ("Gevik Babakhani" <pgdev@xs4all.nl>)
List pgsql-hackers
CaT <cat@zip.com.au> writes:
> It is a pretty obvious suggestion I bet was made many, many times
> before, but it would be very useful if you could create comments while
> creating the objects themselves, like

> CREATE TABLE FOO (
>    ID INTEGER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY COMMENT 'The ID',
>    VALUE VARCHAR(10) COMMENT 'The value',
> ) COMMENT 'The table';

This seems like a fairly bad idea to me, because it converts your table
definitions into proprietary syntax.  Heaven help you trying to load the
above into any other database.  With a separate COMMENT ON command, at
least you have a fighting chance of ignoring the errors and pressing on.

> Perhaps this is a small enough add to make it into 8.3?

Feature freeze was six months ago, and no this wouldn't be a "small
add" even if it was the best idea since sliced bread.