Re: backup database by cloning itself - Mailing list pgsql-general

From filippo
Subject Re: backup database by cloning itself
Date
List pgsql-general
On 14 Feb, 08:33, ron.l.john...@cox.net (Ron Johnson) wrote:
> There's almost definitely a better way to do what you want to do.
>
> What benefit are you trying to obtain by creating 720 almost
> identical databases per month?

I only need the last 24, overwriting each day. In my case 8 are enough
(8am to 24pm, one every 2 hours). The important thing is to be able to
open each very simply (read only) without restore anything. Just tell
my application (written be me), to point the basckup database instead
of latest one.

> Have you tried pg_dump?

probably this is ok. pg_dump create a backup file, not a true clone
db. I want a exact copy (data and users and everithing) with a
different name (05-mydatabase 06-mydatabase ...)