Re: how to add a new data partition - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Phillip Smith
Subject Re: how to add a new data partition
Date
List pgsql-admin
Google is your friend here... Try these:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-lvm/
http://www.gweep.net/~sfoskett/linux/lvmlinux.html
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2006/04/27/managing-disk-space-with-lvm.html
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch27_:_Expanding_Disk_Capacity
http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/raid-lvm.php

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 16:20 -0800, Karthikeyan Sundaram wrote:
> Tom,
>
>    Thanks for your reply.  I am new to postgres. What is LVM? and how should
> I use it.  Can you guide me?.
>
> Regards
> skarthi
>

> >From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> >To: Phillip Smith <phillip.smith@weatherbeeta.com.au>
> >CC: Karthikeyan Sundaram <skarthi98@hotmail.com>,
> >pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
> >Subject: Re: [ADMIN] how to add a new data partition Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007
> >17:59:51 -0500
> >
> >Phillip Smith <phillip.smith@weatherbeeta.com.au> writes:
> > > Perhaps a LVM group would be appropriate in this situation if you have
> > > the luxury of being able to implement that somehow...
> >
> >Indeed, the existence of LVM and similar tools is exactly why we don't
> >deem it pressing to come up with Oracle-like tablespace management.
> >If you want a tablespace to span multiple physical volumes, use LVM.
> >The Postgres project tries to avoid re-inventing perfectly good wheels ...
> >
> >            regards, tom lane

> >TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
> >        subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
> >        message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

> Search for grocery stores. Find gratitude. Turn a simple search into
> something more.
> http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_gratitude&FORM=WLMTAG

*******************Confidentiality and Privilege Notice*******************

The material contained in this message is privileged and confidential to
the addressee.  If you are not the addressee indicated in this message or
responsible for delivery of the message to such person, you may not copy
or deliver this message to anyone, and you should destroy it and kindly
notify the sender by reply email.

Information in this message that does not relate to the official business
of Weatherbeeta must be treated as neither given nor endorsed by Weatherbeeta.
Weatherbeeta, its employees, contractors or associates shall not be liable
for direct, indirect or consequential loss arising from transmission of this
message or any attachments