Re: plan variations: join vs. exists vs. row comparison - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: plan variations: join vs. exists vs. row comparison
Date
List pgsql-performance
Jon Nelson <jnelson+pgsql@jamponi.net> writes:
> I was hoping that somebody could help me understand the differences
> between three plans.
> All of the plans are updating a table using a second table, and should
> be logically equivalent.
> Two of the plans use joins, and one uses an exists subquery.
> One of the plans uses row constructors and IS NOT DISTINCT FROM. It is
> this plan which has really awful performance.
> Clearly it is due to the nested loop, but why would the planner choose
> that approach?

IS NOT DISTINCT FROM pretty much disables all optimizations: it can't be
an indexqual, merge join qual, or hash join qual.  So it's not
surprising that you get a sucky plan for it.  Possibly somebody will
work on improving that someday.

As for your other questions, what PG version are you using?  Because I
do get pretty much the same plan (modulo a plain join versus a semijoin)
for the first two queries, when using 9.0 or later.  And the results of
ANALYZE are only approximate, so you shouldn't be surprised at all if a
rowcount estimate is off by a couple percent.  Most of the time, you
should be happy if it's within a factor of 2 of reality.

            regards, tom lane