Re: pgsql data file location - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject Re: pgsql data file location
Date
List pgsql-general
pg_dumpall or pg_dump can dump data in multiple formats .

By defualt they dump to SQL script files in text format.
suppose you dump using the command

$ pg_dumpall > dump.sql

you can restore it as follows:

$ psql -U<username>  template1 -f dump.sql

if you dump in custom format using -Fc option ie

$ pg_dumpall -Fc  > dump.dat

you must use pg_restore and pipe the results to postgresql using psql

eg

$ pg_restore dump.dat | psql -U<username>  template1

also if you are just wanting to quickly transfer the installation from
one machine to another  and postgresql version remaining the same
you can directly copy the files this is how it can be done .

>SHUTDOWN postmaster
2. cd /usr/local/pgsql/data  or whatever applicable.
3.  tar -cvf data.tar  *

4. ftp data.tar to another machine.

in another machine:
assuming same version of pgsql is installed

>SHUTDOWN  postmaster if its running

5. cd /usr/local/pgsql
6. rename data folder , mv data data-bak
7. mkdir data
8. chown postgres: data
9. cd data
8. tar -xvf /path/to/data.tar

start postmaster.

PS: please care to cc to the list
while replying by pressing "reply all"

> Thank you.This is very helpful. Webmin has a backup/restore function but it does not work.I
> just tested the dumpall command and it seems to work. How about restore function?
>
> Regards
>
> Ismaila Kane

 these
>     folders have names correspoding to internal ids in system catalogs.
 under these numeric

 -----