Re: "Cluster" means "tangle" for me - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: "Cluster" means "tangle" for me
Date
List pgsql-general
Jeff Eckermann <jeckermann@verio.net> writes:
> I'm using version 7.00.

Well, there's your problem ...

> I know there has been a lot of bugs cleaned up since, but nothing that has
> bitten me yet.  I was hoping to hold off upgrading until the release of 7.1,
> if that is what you would be suggesting ....

Consider yourself bitten.  You may care to contemplate these post-7.0
CVS log entries:

Revision 1.52 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs] , Thu May 11 03:54:17 2000 UTC (8 months ago) by tgl
Branch: MAIN
Changes since 1.51: +18 -36 lines
Diff to previous 1.51

Fix CLUSTER ... or at least undo the bit-rot it's suffered since 6.5.
It's still pretty fundamentally bogus :-(.
Freebie side benefit: ALTER TABLE RENAME works on indexes now.

Revision 1.53 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs] , Fri May 12 16:10:09 2000 UTC (8 months ago) by tgl
Branch: MAIN
CVS Tags: REL7_0_PATCHES
Changes since 1.52: +18 -5 lines
Diff to previous 1.52

Squash some more CLUSTER bugs.  Never has worked on multiple-column
indexes, apparently, nor on functional indexes with more than one input
column (force of natts = 1 was in the wrong branch of IF statement).
Coredumped if source relation contained any uncommitted tuples, due to
failure to test for success return from heap_fetch.  Fetched tuple
was passed directly to heap_insert, which clobbers the TID and commit
status in the tuple header it's given, which meant that the source
relation's tuples all got trashed as the copy proceeded.  Abort partway
through, and you're left with a lot of missing tuples.
I wonder what else is lurking here ...

            regards, tom lane