Re: Re: Suggestion: Issue warning when calling SET TRANSACTION outside transaction block - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: Suggestion: Issue warning when calling SET TRANSACTION outside transaction block
Date
Re: Suggestion: Issue warning when calling SET TRANSACTION outside transaction block  (David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> writes:
> Robert Haas wrote
>> I don't think it's worth breaking backward compatibility.  I'm not
>> entirely sure what I would have decided here in a vacuum, but at this
>> point existing precedent seems determinative.

> Well, at this point we have already broken backward compatibility by
> releasing this.  With Tom's thread necromancy I missed the fact this got
> released in 9.3

Uh, what?  The commit I'm objecting to is certainly not in 9.3.
It's this one:

Author: Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
Branch: master [a54141aeb] 2013-10-04 13:50:28 -0400
   Issue error on SET outside transaction block in some cases      Issue error for SET LOCAL/CONSTRAINTS/TRANSACTION
outsidea transaction   block, as they have no effect.      Per suggestion from Morten Hustveit

I agree that it's too late to reconsider the behavior of pre-existing
cases such as LOCK TABLE, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about
this one.