Re: Restore database from files (not dump files)? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Restore database from files (not dump files)?
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 14:16, wheel wrote:
> In article <200612051757.kB5HvaW13981@momjian.us>, bruce@momjian.us
> says...
> > [ The author's email address is clearly bogus, so I can't privately send
> > him email.]
> >
> > You seems to be trying to get help by supplying the least amount of
> > information possible, and not even fully typing out words.  Such
> > approaches usually fail.
> >
> > I suggest we ignore further emails from this person until more complete
> > information is provided, and a valid email address.

> > > --
> > >   Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us
> > >   EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com
> > >
> > >   + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +
> >

> Wow, what an unfriendly dude! Obviously

Actually, all the postgresql hackers are pretty nice people.

But remember one thing.  They owe you nothing.  No one on this list
does.  That said, this is one of the friendliest and most useful lists
I've ever been on.

> db = database
> ver = version
> pg = postgres

uh?  What does that mean, exactly?

> I am sorry that I don't already know it all about postgres. I've asked
> to me seems to be a very simple question and tried to clarify. Newbies
> sometimes don't know now to phrase things, so it's not surprising if the
> questions aren't totally lucid to experts. If you can't deal with a lack
> of precision from new users, then you might consider at least leaving
> them alone. You don't have to be rude and start telling the other
> experts to give the new person the cold shoulder.

Actually, what bothers me is that your email address is bogus.  I get a
ton of spam every day.  If you wanna be a member of a mailing list, get
a good spam filter.  gmail is VERY good at filtering spam, I suggest you
get an account there and use that to join the list.  Otherwise you're
kind of a "ghost" here.

> Welcome to postgres, EnterpriseDB, "backup", and here is your kick in
> the ass? It's not very encouraging that the rest of the you had no
> reaction.

I had one.  It was to ignore you because you had a bogus email address.
I'm fairly certain that was a common response.

> I don't list my email in newsgroups because they're primary resources
> for spammers.

Then get a gmail account.

OK, to your question / answer.

YOU NEED THE WHOLE DATA DIR.  not parts of it.

the data dir and everything in it.  You can't just move parts of the
base directory around and expect it to work.  i.e. copying
data/base/1705/12345 somewhere else is NOT gonna work.

Get a real email address, and join the list.