Re: Configuration settings for 32GB RAM server - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Configuration settings for 32GB RAM server
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 12:10 -0500, Mark Lonsdale wrote:

> - 4 physical CPUs (hyperthreaded to 8)
>
> - 32 GB RAM
>
> - x86_64 architecture
>
> - RedHat AS 4
>
> - postgres 8.1.5
>

> Ive been taking a look at the various postgres tuning parameters, and
> have come up with the following settings.
>

> shared_buffers – 50,000     -  >From what Id read, increasing this
> number higher than this wont have any advantages ?

Where did you read that? You should do some tests. Generally 25% of
physical memory on a dedicated box is a good point of reference (on 8.1,
anyway). I've heard as high as 50% can give you a benefit, but I haven't
seen that myself.

> fsm_pages = 200,000 – Based this on some statistics about the number
> of pages freed from a vacuum on older server.   Not sure if its fair
> to calculate this based on vacuum stats of 7.3.4 server?

Might as well make it a higher number because you have a lot of RAM
anyway. It's better than running out of space in the FSM, because to
increase that setting you need to restart the daemon. Increasing this by
1 only uses 6 bytes. That means you could set it to 10 times the number
you currently have, and it would still be insignificant.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis