Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Don't override arguments set via options with positional argumen - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Don't override arguments set via options with positional argumen
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> My vote is to revert this altogether and leave it be.  In the
> alternative, make it an error.

You mean in HEAD too?  I don't agree with that, for sure.  What this
patch is accomplishing is to make sure that the less-commonly-used
programs have similar command-line-parsing behavior to psql and pg_dump,
where we long ago realized that failure to check this carefully could
result in very confusing behavior.  (Especially on machines where
getopt is willing to rearrange the command line.)

I agree with Andrew that this is a bug fix.  I can see the argument
for not applying it to back branches, but not for declaring that it's
not a bug.