Ident authentication failed for user "dsivam" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From dsivam@gmail.com
Subject Ident authentication failed for user "dsivam"
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi-

I've run into a problem using Postgres 8.1 that has me stumped:

I'm logged on as user 'postgres' and I can connect using the following
command:

    bash$>psql

However when I specify the host:

    bash$>psql -h localhost

or

    bash$>psql -h hostname.domain.com

I get the following error:

    psql: FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"

I have the listen_address parameter set to "*" in postgresql.conf.

Below are the permissions in my pg_hba.conf:

local   all         all                               ident sameuser
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          ident sameuser
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all         all         ::1/128               ident sameuser

Any Ideas?

Thanks...