Re: Proposed patch for xact-vs-multixact bugs - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Proposed patch for xact-vs-multixact bugs
Date
List pgsql-patches

>  We should treat
> exclusive lock held under any of the current backend's subtransactions
> as not to be overridden.

I can't find any clear discussion of this within the docs. I guess if
there were some clear statements on this it would have been uncovered
earlier.

We should say something like "Once a lock has been taken it will be held
until the end of the transaction. Locks obtained after a SAVEPOINT (i.e.
within a subtransaction) will continue to be held even after a RELEASE
SAVEPOINT". Does this also apply if we do a ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT?

I'll do some docs for the Concurrency Control section.

Has the same thinking been applied to table level locks also?
LOCK TABLE has same issue maybe?

--
  Simon Riggs