Re: PgSQL not recognized - Mailing list pgsql-general

From whytwelve13@yahoo.com
Subject Re: PgSQL not recognized
Date
List pgsql-general
> I'm not sure where you're coming from but AIUI plpgsql is modelled on
> the oracle language. I've never used oracle like that so can't really
> comment how that compares to any other database.

MS SQL Server. I have been working on Oracle for a short time, but
never needed these.

> Yes, I was thinking of begin/exception. You just make the exception do
> nothing. I've never really done this though, I've never had dymanic
> schema's that way.

I read, though, that begin/exception is a thing to avoid when possible,
due to the overhead they create. Anyway, both of the things would solve
the problem.

> No, people suggest it from time to time, but I don't beleive anyone has
> submitted a complete proposal or patch for it.

> You're not missing anything, the only language the database understands
> directly is SQL, other languages are restricted to use within
> functions.
>
> The documentation is large. There has been some effort to get it into a
> form more accessable, but it's hard when there's that much of it.

I think it would be a good thing to allow non-pure-SQL languages to be
used. At least, a default language could be setup. As far as I
understand, PL/PgSQL just transfers whatever it doesn't understand to
the underlying pure-SQL interpreter, i.e. it's just a wrapper around
it.

This would help at least during "debugging" of the problems. When you
have to drop/create a function every time you need to change something,
can be annoying, especially if it's a small change you are making just
for testing. Or maybe I am just too lazy.

> Have a nice day,

You too, thanks for the comments and suggestions. Even though the news
were not too good, I know how the things stand now.