Re: cached plans in plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: cached plans in plpgsql
Date
List pgsql-performance
Kuba Ouhrabka <kuba@comgate.cz> writes:
>   IF Var_datos.pronargs > 0 THEN
>     Var_args := '';
>     FOR i IN 0..Var_datos.pronargs-1 LOOP
>         SELECT typname::varchar INTO Var_nameArg FROM pg_type WHERE oid = Var_datos.proargtypes[i];

>         Var_args := Var_args|| COALESCE(Var_datos.proargnames[i+1], '') || ' ' || Var_nameArg||', ';
>     END LOOP;

This will not work at all; it makes far too many incorrect assumptions,
like proargnames always being non-null and having subscripts that match
proargtypes.  (It'll mess things up completely for anything that has OUT
arguments, too.)

It's pretty much the hard way to form a function reference anyway ---
you can just cast the function OID to regprocedure, which aside from
avoiding a lot of subtle assumptions about the catalog contents,
will deal with schema naming issues, something the above likewise
fails at.

To avoid having to reconstruct argument names/types, I'd suggest using
an ALTER FUNCTION command instead of CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION, maybe

    DECLARE fullproname text := a_oid::regprocedure;
    EXECUTE 'ALTER FUNCTION ' || fullproname || ' RENAME TO ' || Var_datos.proname;

            regards, tom lane