TCP/IP connection problem - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jari Vauhkonen
Subject TCP/IP connection problem
Date
Re: TCP/IP connection problem  (Enrico <scotty@linuxtime.it>)
List pgsql-admin

Hello,

I have tried to set up a PostgreSQL server with no success. Connections from
other-than-local hosts won't work. I've tried to connect from Windows XP using
PgWorkSheet && pgAccess.

I have studied the internet for similar problems without an answer. the
following has been done:

  -- PSQL & PSQL-server installation
  -- configuring the pg_hba.conf with following lines:
        host all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust
        host all <my_ip> 255.255.255.255 trustlocal all trust
        host koli <my_ip> 255.255.255.255 trust
  -- configuring the postgresql.conf wit following lines:
        #listen_addresses = '*'
        #port = 5432
        #tcpip_socket = true
  -- starting the postmaster with command
        /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data &
  -- installing the PSQL ODBC driver for Windows

I wonder if the problem is related to the operating system's TCP/IP settings? I
tried netstat to find out if the port 5432 is used, but it seems that it isn't.
What should I do? Remember, I'm quite a newbie with linux-style operating
systems so keep it simple.

Thanks already,
  Jari